

Marulan Quarry Project
Community Consultative Committee
Ninth Meeting, Thursday 19 May, 2022
6:30pm-8:30pm at the Marulan Community Hall

Attendees:

Ian Colley (Independent Chair)
Vergilio Serra (Global Quarries)
Ankeedo Esho (Minute taker)
Karl Rosen (GHD)
Bill Pickering (GQ)
Stephanie Mowle (Council)
Graeme Dally
Wendy Dally
Shane Hill
Darryl Pearson
Don Angelosante
Bill Kenchington
George Emerzidis

Diane Kenchington (Observer)

Apologies:

Don Angelosante

The meeting started at 6:30pm

Wendy: (offering an acknowledgment of the country) the land that we all live on has spiritual connection to us with the spiritual story that still runs today

Ian: Thank you Wendy – now let's have a look at the previous minutes

Graeme – The last minutes in the draft had phosphorus but it was deleted in the final minutes

Karl: I was trying to work out what caused that misunderstanding, I don't have any knowledge of phosphorus as its not there.

Ian: Karl corrected the minutes from last meeting – are we okay to accept the minutes form the last meeting

Everyone: Yes

Actions arising from previous meetings

Ian: From the eighth meeting, action 1, the Highway plan, did that happen?

Vergilio: will double check that

Ian: Slides were sent to the CCC. Vergilio was to send out the survey to those who didn't get it in the Marulan district

Graeme: we were only given 2 weeks to respond when others were given 8 weeks because we got the letter late

Vergilio: we did receive some surveys after, so if you took 3 or 4 weeks after we still receive them and we count them in

Graeme: I don't think that's acceptable a lot of people threw them away because the due date was incorrect, we didn't have time to response.

Ian: So the request is for due notice to the community – and clearer information in future surveys.

Vergilio: we are aware of the issue, we will solve it and not use Marulan post office

Ian: Action 4 is a questions mark sitting there for now, action 5 is also a question mark, Vergilio to check for inconsistency and gaps is out of date

Graeme: no, I disagree we asked 300 questions and they have not been addressed

Vergilio: as the project proceeds, we will answer questions

Graeme: you did respond to some of the but not all of them

Ian: visibilty study to supply when completed

Vergilio: not completed yet

Ian: there is a meeting date scheduled for the general community?

Vergilio: we have a list of stakeholders to contact, and we don't want to present personal information out in the public yet

Ian: this was from the 5th meeting

Vergilio: I need to follow it up

Ian: GQ to clarify power source

Karl: don't believe that is sorted yet

Ian: insurance once granted will be notified?

Graeme: Wendy and myself made a presentation at the last meeting, we didn't expect answers on the night, but we do expect answers in the next meeting, which is now. When is the EIS getting submitted. Mid-year?

Vergilio: yes mid-year if we get Crown Lands approval. We are in discussions with council and the Aboriginal community.

Graeme: The next one is the health risk assessment about silica content

Vergilio: Yes we are doing a silica content test but it's not required

Karl: I don't think a formal risk assessment is required

Graeme: I'll quote you on that but it's in the SEARs 2020 that the Department of Planning requests. It's compulsory

Vergilio: We will do a silica test

Karl: submitting to Council is a part of the EIS, the formal SIA's consideration of mental health is ongoing. The meeting with the Chamber of Commerce has been cancelled today. On the 18th or 19th we are planning to have a meeting with the community

Vergilio: The 18th

Wendy: are you meeting with stakeholders or community. We are stakeholders

Graeme: communication is very important, a question was asked in January, the SEAR's submission was on the 10th of March, but you put an extension in. You should have let us know, why don't you let us know. It was quite concerning the letter I read, addressed to John Ibrahim, I thought he was out of this, is he or not?

Vergilio: no, he has nothing to do with the quarry anymore

Graeme: you were going to upload/update the portal, that hasn't happened yet

Karl: if an EIS is not submitted within 2 years we need to undertake further consultation with the Department. We had the meeting and were requested to submit a letter to get it on record. My understanding is that it has been accepted

Graeme: Karl gave me two dates when EIS is due, and the state planning portal is giving me a different date. People from state planning are not giving us information. It is frustrating. The director contacted us to give us information, I can't remember his name.

Stephanie: DPIE introduced changes to state significant development as part of the Rapid Assessment Framework. The Environmental Planning & Assessment Amendment (Major Projects) Regulation 2021 amended the EP&A Regulation and introduced a two year expiry period on SEARS for SSD projects. This commenced on 1 July 2021. The provisions allow the Secretary to extend the expiry date of the SEARs by a further two years. These provisions also apply sunset dates for existing SEARs and I understand these provisions have the Marulan Quarry SEARs, issued March 2020, expiring on 1 July 2023. This is a matter for the DPIE to confirm.

Karl: I had updated the portal, it was within my power, but that website seems to change every time and it is frustrating

Shane: that's the communication, no one knows

Graeme: there was one more thing, the door knocking that Vergilio was doing. That didn't work at all, a lot of negativities. You are just ticking boxes with the SIAs but not satisfying the people

Vergilio: we did give a week's notice, and there was a contact number left but that was a mistake. The only issues we had when I went door knocking was on Winfarthing road. Every time we come down to Winfarthing road I get a call from Graeme asking what I'm doing there

Graeme: On a personal note when I received an email from you that you didn't want to have a meeting with me I found it strange

Vergilio: I don't remember the email word for word, but I remember you didn't want to meet me at your door

Wendy: we don't want to invite you into our home

Shane: you need let us know you're coming and we need to accept that you want to come, you come with a heavy hand and demand to come in

Wendy: you went through a locked gate

Vergilio: we never went through a locked gate

Karl Presentation

Karl: okay thanks for having me down here. I do prefer to do things in person. Where were up to now is 75 to 80% covered on the technical areas that are reviewed by myself and passed on to GQ to review.

Wendy: I'm very confused to what you're doing. What is GHD and what is GQ in this?

Karl: GQ and GHD are working closely – GHD are engaged for preparation of an EIS including all relevant specialist studies

Wendy: where's the survey they did on the properties?

Karl: GHD wanted to have a one on one with people to understand what the issues are the locals are having as part of the Social Impact Assessment

Vergilio: Their scope on community consultation for instance doesn't have a pop up stand, that will be a GQ job

Wendy: but isn't that your job you're a consultant

Vergilio: GQ look after community consultations, GQ we are potentially going to be here 20 years, we should be here to know the community

Ian: So GQ has longer term and GHD has a SIA's requirement?

Karl: the image on the left was presented in the original documents, the next image was what was proposed in the amendment to the SEARs in 2020. The resource area is still roughly in the same area, going on image 3, is what was presented to the department for an update, that is what we are proceeding with in the EIS, this image is a detailed arrangement

Graeme: can we have a copy of that?

Shane: and a paper version please

ACTION: Send a copy of the presentation (paper version) to all

Karl: For stage 1 and stage 2, we have a better understating of how trucks will be getting into the pit, storage on site, clean water on site, helping to supply clean water to the site, so the clean water won't come in contact with dirty water. Section AA is west to east for stage 1 approximately 30m of height from the top of the hill, section BB south to north, it does show back filling of stage 1 of Venm and Enm, a very important part of the process. I'm happy to answer any questions. This is basically the land rehabilitation. There is virgin natural material which will be sourced from construction projects

Shane: there is something in Sydney soil that can affect grapes, I read it somewhere

Karl: the backfilling of pits will include the overburden stockpile. 5 meters of the original soil and material from the site will be replaced and replanted with native plants. Section AA is horizontal BB is vertical.

Bill: how do you excavate all that?

Karl: its going down to 695 AHD

Bill: you won't be able to fill until you reach depth

Karl: yes, when stage 2 starts, stage 1 will be backfilled, then the rehab process can start

Bill: we need to digest this further

Karl: transport have said only 50 trucks in and out

Vergilio: essentially you don't want to leave with empty truck

Wendy: so we are getting Sydney rubbish again

Karl: up to 42 tonne truck

George: 2500 tonne per day stockpiling. Will it be visible from Hume highway?

Karl: yes, it will be, the first photo on the screen is what we have now. The second photo has clipped off 25 to 30 meters of the hill

Shane: will there be controls on dust from that new dirt pile there

Karl: yes

Bill: we are told we don't see any overburden

Karl: that's been designed in the last 2 months, we wanted to have an idea of that to get sufficient information to put into the EIS. And this is the final image of rehabilitation of the hill.

Bill: that's in 20 years' time

Karl: yes

Wendy: who's looking after that and insurances

Shane: has GQ thought about purchasing the land not leasing it

Vergilio: yes, that is a consideration

Shane: if you have some sort of security in 10 years time, and you can come up with a plan to return it to its natural state, with wildlife, so we have a picture of the future we can aim for

Karl: the overburden will be 5 meters placed on top of the fill.

The noise assessment has been completed. Part of the process is to take into account the background noise. One of the locations is at the gate of quarry and another was further along Winfarthing road

Wendy: have you gone up the Narrambulla. That's where the sound goes.

Karl: the process is that we monitor the background noise then the criteria gets developed around that, which is RBL plus 5 which gives you your noise trigger levels,

Wendy: the loudest noise we get now is a cow.

Karl: a noise model is then used to look at the noise generating equipment like excavations, bulldozers etc. In Scenario 1, there's no shielding, scenario 2, is at RL 675 second bench down, scenario 3 is stage 1 bench 5 RL 645 scenario 4 is start of 2 RL 682 – 690. This is hard to see (on the screen) but we will email pdf copies and the initial modelling does show 4 decibels directly to the west, receiver 1. The noise source was machinery on the pit, undisrupted by terrain. An idea was to put mufflers on the machinery -it will drop 2 to 3 decibels. It's only a partial reduction.

ACTION 2: Email copies of the noise modelling

Wendy: Karl can you tell me the operation times

Vergilio: 7am-5pm 5 days a week and maybe a Saturday

Karl: I'm presenting the results, you are the first people to see this, this is what the modelling is showing.

Shane: on the blasting are we going to meet someone to talk to us about it, there is lot of concern about that

ACTION 3: talk to a blasting professional

Karl: a blast management plan has to be developed, which is not done yet. Once a blast management plan is completed we will know more.

Vergilio: Graeme did mention the blast will push the rock off the surface, not go the other way,

George: is it necessary to blast?

Karl and Vergilio: yes

Darrel: What is that in decibels?

Karl: I'll take notice of that, I can't tell you that now

Bill: how often will you blast?

Vergilio: once every 2 weeks, there will be notifications sent out before blasts happening

Wendy: we need clear amount of warning

Vergilio: everything will be scheduled in, and we will let you know in advance

Karl: a quick note, the team has done research on blasting and animals. The next one is air quality, an assessment in accordance with the EPA's approved methods, the smallest dust particles have the most damage. The exceedance was 98% due to the background dust levels. The blasting assessment highlights the conditions when its preferable to blast, it's usually in the middle of the day. A final note is that we have some samples from the geo drilling to check for silica, and consider what that means to the community, that's still getting done.

Bill: on your map, What's the green area over my property?

Karl: 25 is the dark orange, PM – particulates microns 25 microns. The green is 3-10, the EPA sets what's acceptable in around community property, EPA 3-10 is an acceptable amount

Bill: is that just the quarry or what's in the air already?

Karl: I'll have to go back and check

Ian: so the green area is below the criteria?

Bill: is that after the blast?

Karl: that's general condition

Darrel: is wind included?

Vergilio: studies are done on worst case scenario

Shane: can we find out where they are taking the wind reading from?

Karl: they do use an EPA approved climate model,

ACTION: send the wind methodology

Bill: What's "R" on your map?

Karl: R is for Receiver which is a house or business or place of worship

Graeme: is that cubic meters?

Karl: yes, it's in the top right conner

Karl: A water management system is being developed, understand it is large footprint, its being designed in accordance with the blue book.

Wendy: does that need to be revised because we've had 3 1 in 100 years floods

Karl: the risk of it is average, one of the overburden stockpiles had to get shifted because it was too close. The water demand is 34 megalitres p/a. In typical or wet seasons, the water will supply sufficient amount of water for the operations of the quarry, in a dry season it won't and we are

proposing to put in a groundwater bore. We have assessed the impacts of Venm and Enm, with the risk of rain falling on stock pile. What I need to highlight is that Venm and Enm is a natural material. When Venm is supplied to the site it needs to be tested up to 98 % natural material will be allowed. No contamination will be accepted.

Wendy: were really worried about that happening. You might sit there and say its clean but it's not, we're not use to this soil, because that's where the birds come to feed. You'll end up in 18 years with a massive amount of soil. We don't understand what you will be doing with that. I hate being told to be quiet, we love our environment, we want it to stay how it is, that includes the animals, birds and swamps. It's not good what can happen.

Shane: because we are in a E3 zone, who will monitoring that,

Vergilio: GQ will be.

Shane: I've never seen a quarry operation happen in a E3 zone. What extra measures will be in place?

Steph: if its approved, it will be monitored by the Council as well

Karl: It's. a part of the EIS, we need to demonstrate permissibility and consideration of of the E3 zone objectives.

Karl: the stockpile area dam has been designed to catch any run-off water, preventing any water going into the creek, that is all documented and considered. Public exhibition is the key time to make submissions, we are listening to you, we are trying to address everything, when EIS goes public, that's when your submissions will come in. It's hard to address all your concerns but you can write a submission and it will be considered.

Graeme: before we move on, by ground water you mean bore water?

Karl: yes, the assessment has considered other bores in the area. In terms of flooding, there is not much to say on that, I think showed the image on the left previously.

Traffic, this is the intersection design, it will generate 50 trucks day, the design includes acceleration and deceleration lanes. We have done a study to see how quickly trucks can accelerate and get out of there and that's been considered in the design. 900 meters from Winfarthing road.

George: is there an extra lane for the trucks?

Vergilio: yes, the acceleration lane. When you exit and turn towards Sydney the truck will need to accelerate and merge into the right lane.

Karl: It's a 420 m left acceleration lane

Bill: are you building this before you start the quarry

Vergilio: yes, the road is be the first things we have to do

Bill: So a major issue is merging traffic

Vergilio: Bill, I'll come back to you about that

Karl: On biodiversity, detailed investigations have been going on for a number of years. There is no listed ecological communities or threatened flora species on site.

Wendy: there's black boys near the Trig station

Karl: there's potentially 2 orchids there that we need to study further

Wendy: so what happens to those

Karl: the draft report is not complete yet. It is likely to remove habitat for seven threatened fauna species including Southern Myotis, Large-eared Pied Bat, Scarlet Robin, Varied Sittella, Large Bent-winged Bat, Yellow-bellied Sheath-tail Bat, Speckled Warbler

Graeme: so, land around there you can use lease to offset. What did you lease the extra land for?

Vergilio: I don't know, I have to ask the director

Graeme: you told us you had at least 2 extra land holdings, then you showed us a map saying you have 5 extra leases and you haven't told us why

Steph: when the biodiversity study is out, we'll get in contact with you Vergilio and we will have someone come out and do a study on the habitat

Shane: can you release that to us?

Karl: it's in the notes

Karl: on culture heritage, we have 34 RAP (Registered Aboriginal Parties), 6 of which participated in field work. A field survey identified additional surface stone artefacts close to the creek. That report is being developed, a draft hopefully will be available in a month.

The next slide is what's going forward: Historical heritage, bushfire risk assessments, economic impact assessment, agricultural impact assessment.

Ian: when is the EIS coming out?

Karl: It's a GQ product, they will need to review it and come back to us, we are also preparing the chapters for the specialist reports, we are aiming to have the EIS by mid-year, but the submission date will depend on getting crown lands.

Shane: thank you for getting us the information

Bill Pickering: (Bill P introduced himself and his background). I came into this project 12 weeks ago in the community consultation role. Jeff asked me to step in. In this time, we have door knocked on around 130 homes and businesses, to speak to get to know the community and answer concerns. Community consultation is about providing information and understanding community concern, We will never keep people 100% happy all the time. That's not possible. We are here to understand your concerns and address them as best as we can. If we don't get the feedback, how would we know what your concerns are. I have summarised some of things we found, this report does not take into account yesterday and today's activities. The details are there, have look at it. We have spoken to schools, the Mayor, Council and the Rural Fire Service.

Wendy: I don't have 12 months to live on stage 4 cancer. Its to late, they should of done all this in the first year. They want to tick boxes now. Why didn't you do one like the power station in Jurra, why don't you have meeting in town in the first week, so everyone knows what's going on. I've been in so many of these meetings getting shut down, we have meetings everywhere, we are teachers we are looking after people

Bill: one thing we realised was how many people are aware of this project, we had an interesting outcome today. We sat for 4 to 5 hours with these pops-up and had dozens and dozens of people come out to talk to us. We are doing over and beyond. The only way we can do this, is sit there during the day with information, if we have missed you, we will leave a note.

Wendy: Vergilio why didn't we get someone like him from the beginning

Vergilio: I don't know

Wendy: who looks after us?

Shane: some of our elderly community members think that a one-on-one conversation is a form of bullying

Bill P: community consultation is a requirement by the department of planning, it's part of what we have to do, but how we are going to do it is by giving the people various opportunities: Door knocking, putting notes in the mail asking for feedback. What we have here is a summary of comments and concerns to date such as traffic, road maintenance, noise, dust. We won't be using Winfarthing road for operations. The opposition to the quarry is mainly on Winfarthing road.

George: the community want more business and cafes not a quarry in Marulan.

Vergilio: June 18th is another meeting for other residents to come with any concerns,

Ian: In terms of the next CCC meeting I will see when further reports and relevant information is available and come back with a proposed meeting date if that is useful.

Meeting 9 Action Summary

ACTION 1: Send a copy of the presentation (a paper version) to the CCC

ACTION 2: Email copies of the noise modelling to the CCC

ACTION 3: Invite a blasting professional to address the CCC

ACTION 4: Send the wind methodology to the CCC

Eighth Meeting

Actions still to be completed from previous meetings

Eighth Meeting

Action 1: Karl will send out the highway/traffic plan - VS to check

Action 2: Slide presentations from this meeting will be sent to members of the CCC. Completed

Action 3 : Vergilio to follow up with survey to local residents on Winfarthing Rd. Completed

Action 4: Vergilio for GQ to respond in writing with relevant information in draft form when it becomes available. – in process

Action 5: GHD to respond to the calls for more direct and frequent communication with local residents. – in process

Seventh Meeting

Action 2: Add these further items to the actions from Meeting 6: Karl to update bushfire assessment, and include the stockpiles on the quarry map, and add the right hand turn exit onto the map with the stockpiles). Completed

Sixth Meeting

Action 1: VS check for inconsistencies and gaps in the information document handed out last meeting (such as contradictory statements on the trig station) – to do

Action 2 – VS to supply the visibility study when completed – to do

Fifth Meeting

Action 1 VS to consider meeting with NOW Inc, subject to Covid advice. – to do

Action 2 (this action item rephrased for clarity) VS to supply its local contact list to NOW and to contact people to participate in the second SIA. -to follow up

First Meeting

Action 6 The EIS report will be made available when completed. – to do

Action 8 GQ will clarify power source to members. – to do

Action 9 GQ to provide details of insurance once approval is granted. – to do